My family loves loves loves Taco Tuesday (which is only about once a month due to the typical calorie and sodium content), so when I say this as a part of the February supper club week three… lets just say I needed to share. I have plans to tweak to my particular family’s tastes and dietary needs
Recipe: Skinny Baked Burritos
“Ready to feel like you’re cheating for less than 300 calories?! This burrito brings it! Low-carb, low-fat, and with tons of delish Mexican flavors – this one is almost too good to be true! But, it’s not, and the best part is our Skinny Baked Burrito is super simple to make too!Skinny Swaps like ground turkey and reduced-fat cheese and sour cream keep the nutrition calculations in check, while some taco seasonings and sauce make this dinner full-flavored! For those of you who get enough Mexican, check out 50 of our fave Mexican dishes!” (SkinnyMom 2014)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 burrito
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp [Skinny Mom’s Skinny and Low-Sodium Taco Seasoning| / OR 1 packet reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 8 oz reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 8 Large La Tortilla Factory® Smart & Delicious™ Low Carb, High Fiber Tortillas (since I have all little bitty people we are qoing to sub in the small size- Dad can just have more actual buritos)
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream (we will be using plain lowfat greek yogurt instead, re-strained for texture)
- 4 oz can mild taco sauce
- 10.75 oz can reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup (I plan to use half the can, puree some steamed mushrooms and add the liquid part of the greek yogurt from above)
- black olives
- reduced-fat sour cream
- tomato salsa
- *Optional ingredients are not included in nutrition calculations.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown lean ground turkey, add reduced-sodium taco seasoning, and cook according to package directions.
- Mix reduced-fat sour cream, taco sauce, and cream of mushroom soup in a separate bowl.
- Spoon and smooth ⅓ of the soup mixture into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Place approximately 2 Tbsp of meat mixture and approximately 2 Tbsp shredded cheese on each tortilla.
- Roll/fold tortillas and place into a pan seam side down.
- Spread the rest of the soup mixture onto the rolled tortillas and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Top with your favorite burrito toppings (optional) lettuce, jalapeños, black olives, tomatoes, etc.
Nutrition Information (which will be a bit different for the substitutions I plan to make, but accurate for the non-italicized version).
Per Serving (1 burrito):
Calories from fat: 103
Saturated Fat: 6g